The Delaware Division of Historical and Cultural Affairs hosts a workshop on researching, transcribing, and interpreting historical documents that illuminate the lives of the enslaved and free blacks who lived and worked on the John Dickinson Plantation in Dover.
Conducted by Madeline Dunn, curator of education for the Delaware Division of Historical and Cultural Affairs, and site supervisor Gloria Henry, the workshop takes place at the John Dickinson Plantation, located at 340 Kitts Hummock Rd. in Dover, DE 19901. This adults-only workshop is free and open to the public but, due to seating limitations, reservations must be made by calling 302.739.3277 no later than Feb. 25, 2011.
The mansion house at the John Dickinson Plantation, also known as Poplar Hall, was built in 1740 for Samuel Dickinson (father of John Dickinson). John Dickinson spent his boyhood years here and later, after inheriting the property from his father, used the plantation as his country estate in addition to his city homes in Philadelphia and Wilmington.