In the Spirit of Tradition: The Studio Group, an exhibit featuring 36 works of art in various media by 36 members of the Studio Group, Inc., is on view at the Delaware Art Museum through January 15, 2012.
Built in 1883, and enlarged in 1900, Howard Pyle’s North Franklin Street studio was sold to illustrators Stanley Arthurs and Clifford Ashley, two of Pyle’s former studios, after his death in 1911. In 1950, upon Arthur’s death, Ellen Wheelwright purchased the studio for The Studio Group, who bought the property from Wheelwright’s estate in 1964. Since 1978, the Studio has been listed on the National Registry of Historic Places.
In addition to maintaining the artistic spirit of the building, Studio Group members meet weekly to paint, study art, and participate in classes and critiques. They also focus on preserving the historic building, as well as providing a scholarship program for young art students. The Studios are open to the public during exhibitions and for tours by appointment. More information about The Studio Group is available at: www.howardpylestudio.org.
The exhibit is part of the Museum’s Outlooks Exhibition Series, which aims to encourage community involvement in the creation and exhibition of art. It coincides with Howard Pyle: American Master Rediscovered, a retrospective Howard Pyle exhibition that also serves to celebrate the Museum’s 100th anniversary, which was founded in 1912 after Pyle’s unexpected death. The Pyle exhibit is on view in the newly renamed Anthony N. and Catherine A. Fusco Gallery through March 4, 2012.